Monday, December 14, 2009

traditions

When I was single I dreamt of the holiday traditions I would instill in the hearts and lives of my beloved children.

Little did I know that I would marry a man with 2 children who already had a few traditions of their own . . . and not necessarily ones I had ever thought of having

But as luck (their way) would have it, we have held on to their traditions while trying to work in a few of my own

The blending has gone well..very well but I will say, there is one tradition that up until I married Jim, I had never even considered let alone ever known a single living soul within my social circle or familial realm who participated in:



Yup, pictures with Santa at the mall. Don't get me wrong, as a kid I always envied the other kids who's kind and loving parents would let them get pictures with Santa or the Easter Bunny. I was convinced that they loved their kids more than my parents loved me. (uh the verdicts still out on that one) My dad would say "I'm no sucker. If you think I am going to stand in that long line and pay those ridiculous prices, You've got another think comin. Besides, those things are for suckers and they aren't even real!" (It's actually the same line he used for everything- like at the county fair when we begged to play a game so we could win a stuffed animal. )

At first I was ashamed to tell anyone of it- but this year I realized something: I love this tradition.

We get somewhat dressed up and stand in a ridiculously long line with all of the other suckers and kids in tow only to have a 45 second sitting with a Santa who's demeanor makes Keith Oberman look like a saint (he's not very Jolly for a fat guy!) and then we're shuffled off to buffalo as they hand the kiddies a mini candy cane and a crappy 8 page cartoon paper booked titled: Arlee's Christmas Wish. (what the?!) and then they let the suckers (parents) chose the best of 3 photos for a 5x7 print and a 4 wallets all for the meager price of $20.00. (pretty sure a kick in the crotch would cost less and there would be no long lines huh?!)

This tradition has been around since Anna was a baby and we now have 12 frames with photos of the girls and Santa. It's really cool to look back and see pics of them and how they have grown. I look forward to more years of santa pics and watching my little family grow.


Tonight I was reminded again of just how great God is and how my prayers were heard and answered. I am finally a mom, I love my life and I love wacky Christmas pictures.

5 comments:

BurnsFam said...

How funny Uncle Gail is! We used to always, every year always, get our family picture with Santa. Even when Wade and Laura were old and complained about having to go my mom still made it happen. I love those traditions. We started doing that with our kids but it wasn't always easy to find a Santa while living in Germany! Love you!

Kathy said...

I'll admit I love getting my kids picture with Santa. The mall sucks, the kids cry, Santa struggles and I do hate paying that much money. But I have my picture and I haven't missed a year with my kids.

I like that you have them all framed and displayed. I have all of mine stacked on top of each other in the same frame. I think I'll pull them out so we can enjoy all the pictures every year.

myrtle budge said...

you totally love your kids more than me - love it.

Grandma Ann said...

I'm so glad you have continued this tradition.

The Whitmore's said...

When I grow up.......I want to be as good of a second mom as you! I love you tam! Even if you did make me cry today! You are THE BEST! xxoxoxoxoHutch

PS....the code word that I have to type below is "momen".....I think they spelled it wrong!