Thursday, October 16, 2008

UEA Weekend



Being the FUN MOM that I am, I decided to take the girls down to sunny, warm St George to frolic in the sun and swim to their hearts content.

After packing the car and praying for safety we headed off for what was to be the best UEA break ever. Just the girls and me. I was even in cool mom mode too: candy gallore, movies to watch, fun music, and I had plans to eat out every night and say yes to Kirsten when she asked if she could get a coke. Yes this was it and we were so excited.

Well about 2 hours into the trip as we were ascending the gigantic hill past Scipio, the burb died. The engine just stopped and the irony is that I was just thinking "hmmmm I wonder if this is the hill Elder Holland talks about in his talk 'An High Priets of Good Things to Come' (super good talk BTW) and then nothing-it turned off and I coasted as far to the top of that hill as I could and piled off at Exit 184.

I had no idea what to do and in an attempt to find my purse and call AAA I realized that my wallet was missing. So I call my dear husband Jim who incidentally was at home sick with the flu. While he spent the next 30 minutes making arrangements I had a bonding moment or two doing the following:

*We said a prayer together asking that everything would be all right

*We said another prayer asking for help

*I taught the girls how to pee off of the side rail of a suburban

*We waved at the many cars that had the audacity to pass a pregnant mom holding a baby with 2 girls by her side

*We cheered as Larry the tow truck guy came to save us


* We laughed again as we crammed into the front of his tow truck all the way back to Draper (roughly a 2 hour drive)
*Seeing Jim/dad at the repair garage and being elated at his presence

*Finding my wallet that had fallen out of my purse at home

I had a moment today as I sat in the front seat of that tow truck holding Lilly on my lap with Kirst asleep on my side and Anna resting on Kirst. I was mom in the full sense of the word. I was responsible for these girls -how overwhelming is that? There we were stranded on the freeway, just the four of us and everything turned out ok. No freak outs-but there were few disappointed hearts (including mine) at the thought of going back to Draper. But we did manage to laugh about it and in the words of Elder Wirthlin's mother: "Come what may and love it" were resounding in my head. At least we are all alive and the one creepy guy who stopped to help us didn't kill us.

Creepy guy gets out of the car wearing glasses and has a notepad and pen in his front pocket (probably with a list of names of people he's killed)
Guy:"you girls ok?"
Me: We're ok thanks for stopping though
Guy: Are you all alone? No husband?
Me: Ummm the tow truck guy just called and is only a few miles away
Guy: ohhh ok (stands there for a bit)
Me: well thanks anyway-you are so kind. Come on girls let's get our bags and get ready for the tow truck

The Burb died 5 miles outside of a city that happened to have Triple A. Lilly didn't sleep at all which is weird since the ride down was during her nap time yet she slept the entire time in the tow truck back to Draper. Triple A only covers 100 miles of towing and from Scipio to Draper which is roughly that so we only had to pay $40 for the tow.

3 comments:

Nancee said...

Day-am, you guys have the most eventful lives!!! The most "exciting" thing that happened to me this week was when I had to fire another mentally unbalanced employee.

Glad everyone's home safe.

Laurel said...

I can't stand how much I love you and your new life...
Who knew?

you are SUCH a cool mom!

The Whitmore's said...

Tammy, Tammy, Tam, Tam! Thanks for blazing this trail for me! You are truly amazing and I love you!