Tuesday, August 18, 2009

School Supplies

When I was a kid I looked forward to a new school year for 2 reasons:

1. JC Penney catalog (my mom handed us the huge catalog and we would circle the clothes we wanted [and then we would go to the bra and panty section and laugh at the ladies belly buttons.] A few weeks later a gigantic box wold arrive and we would sit at her feet while she handed us our new clothes-Christmas in September I loved it!!!)

2. New school bag, lunch box and school supplies. How I loved packing my bag with all of the unnecessary things I SO thought I needed simply to have a bag filled with stuff: protractor, ruler, glue, paper, crayons, folders, markers, colored pencils, pencils, pens, mechanical pencils, erasers, 3x5 cards, highlighters, calculator, dictionary, scissors, lotion, chapstick, 3-4 packs of gum, envelopes, paper hole punch, sewing kit, flashlight, candles , matches, snacks, some sort of toy, pick (for my permed hair), rubix cube, my taped copy of Thriller to dance to at recess, and a Wonder Woman bouncy ball. You name it I packed it.

Well Kirsten has the same idea and after going through her packed bag today and taking out 3 extra bottles of hand sanitizer, 7 erasers, a bottle of Elmer's glue, sticky notes, scissors and then saying to her "umm we don't live in Kosovo. They have this stuff at your school" I realized "Kosovo" was the only school I knew as a kid and I liked it that way.

So I will probably sneak a treat or two onto her bag as well as a bouncy ball. It's too bad I can't send a taped copy of thriller for her and her friends to dance to at recess-but let's be honest would they even know how to use a tape recorder?

No comments: