Wednesday, December 3, 2008


About ten years ago at the Ricks College bookstore I made my first homemaker/adult purchase: The Martha Stewart Cookbook. I felt so cool and was so excited to become the culinary genius I thought it would make me. Well much to my shagrin, I never really used it until now. I like plan out my menus for two weeks, buy all the groceries and then I never have to worry about what to cook while I am up to my arm pits in spelling, sunshine math(nothing sunny about fractions!) and a screaming baby.

This is the review I read today on a classic cookbook that many prodigies of Martha own:

Martha Stewart Cookbook
makes you feel as though a fine and interesting meal is always possible -- even in winter, when the selection of produce can be pretty slim. Some the more inventive recipes include sauerkraut and fresh cabbage with browned mushrooms, fettuccini with pumpkin cream sauce, and sole cerviche mixed with grapefruit slices.

Yah, well here's mine:

Martha Stewart Cookbook makes you feel as though a dull and tasteless concocted meal is always possible--even in winter when the selection of produce can be pretty slim should you find yourself living in Kosovo. Some of the more inventive recipes ought not to be served to your family let alone any human aqcuintance you might have. This is a book you will want to keep on your shelf unless you are in need of a gag white elephant gift. Wrap up this sucker and companion it with sauerkraut and sole-talk about a hit!

Needless to say- after one week of crappy meals, I am now stuck with a weeks worth of useless recipes and the foods that go with them. In fact Right now as I type, Jim is picking up dinner at WENDY'S :)

3 comments:

Jill said...

Must be today and the pregnancy fatigue...we just ordered chinese. Bet you wouldn't be saying that about Peacocks on my Porch, now would ya?

Sara Sargent Williams said...

Let's be honest..... Ricks college was WAY more than 10 years ago! Get real!

Janie said...

Oh Tamara, I can so relate! I used the same cookbook the first time I had Eric's family over for dinner many years ago and the disasterous result is still a Smith Family legend.

Martha bites!!!