Friday, January 29, 2010

parenting

Being a parent is hard.

Really hard.

Due to a series of unfortunate events I was forced to take Anna's cell phone away for the day

Her reaction was quite literally taken from that scene in Steel Magnolias (click movie title) where Sally Field freaks out at the cemetery yelling to God and asking "WHY? WHY?" (Anna too qualifying for an Oscar by her fantastic performance)

I have thought about it and came to the firm resolve that she will thank me one day. Probably during her valedictorian speech at graduation when she is mature enough to see that everything we do as parents is truly for our children's own good.

Right!

Really?

So the time my mom made me walk to school because I didn't wake up on time for car pool really wasnt' necessarily teaching me to wake up on time for carpool so I didn't have to walk to school. . . but to be responsible?

Ok OK

But what about the time I had to run an "errand" and was told to be home by 6:00 so we could all go to the movies and my dad/entire family left me. I was only ten minutes late. Man I was so mad! I had to sit at home while they all had fun. I was however never late again and learned the importance of being on time.

Hey, what about the time my mean mom wouldn't take me to the mall and buy me that Forenza sweater at the Limited the day I wanted it-ALL of my friends had one! NOOOO instead she made me wait for my birthday (3 whole months) but wow was I happy and grateful to get that sweater. In fact I took such good care of it-I still have it today (ok just kidding but I did take good care of it) But we shouldn't always get what we want when we want it-it makes us less appreciative for what we have.

I didn't say any of this at my valedictorian speech haha - I was too dumb to have figured it out back then - it took me 38 years and I am still learning.

Thanks mom and dad. I guess it really was for my own good.

5 comments:

Uzi said...

So how do you explain the "lesson" I had to learn when mom and dad forget to pick me up after choir practice because they were yelling at Rebecca because of her grades? I waited 2 hours, 2 HOURS! Thank goodness sister Otis saw me perched on the fence like some sad After School Special and offered to take me home.
No lesson learned, just bitter resentment for joining the choir......j/k

Watsonville said...

Um...did we really have to name names? Why the hatin'?

The Whitmore's said...

Love this post! So happy to know I'm not the only meanest mom in the world!

Jill said...

Good job mama!

jdiggity said...

I just got rid of my purple Forenza sweater 2 years ago - that and my LA Gears. Prized possessions, and why? Because my mom made me wait to get them as well and even do chores to earn them. You ARE a good mom!